We received this product to review!
Are you looking for a book that will inspire its readers to live their faith? Do you need a book for the school year or a gift for a middle-grade girl? The Heart Changer from SchoolhouseTeachers.com teacher – Jarm Del Boccio, Author is a fictional version of the story of Naaman from 2nd Kings from Miriam’s point-of-view.
Twelve-year-old Miriam is captured during a raid on her village by Naaman’s army and is brought to Syria to be his wife’s maidservant. She is devastated and filled with anger and resentment towards all who are associated with Naaman. She feels she has been abandoned by God and her faith wavers. Through the kindness of other servants and her mistress, her faith begins to increase. When Naaman is infected with leprosy, Miriam remembers Elisha and knows that he will be able to help. Her faith once again strong, she travels with Naaman and his wife to see Elisha, where Naaman is cured.
About Jarm Del Boccio:
Jarm (pronounced ‘Yarm’) Del Boccio currently lives near Chicago with her husband and adult children. She has been a librarian and teacher, and wants to help make history and the Bible inspire her readers. She also enjoys traveling and has been to 6 of the 7 continents. You can be learn about her at www.jarmdelboccio.com.
I’ve realized that over the years that as the children have gotten older and can read to themselves, we haven’t dedicated much time towards family read-aloud time. I’m now choosing to dedicated time and energy to choosing books that will be enjoyed by all. I thought that C would enjoy this story (it could be our special book), and I was right. We spent a number of afternoons curled up on the couch, me reading and C coloring, learning about Miriam and her influence on Naaman’s family and his servants.
– The descriptions in this book were excellent, and it flowed so smoothly that I wanted to stop and read it to myself instead of reading aloud. We learned about the foods eaten (dates, bread, Falafel, humus and more), environmental conditions in the Middle East, clothing, and lifestyle for that time period.
-The Teacher’s Guide can be found here. Just click on the corresponding graphic. This guide includes an interview with Jarm Del Boccio, section with information about Miriam (favorite color and questions to think about), information about the setting, questions for your family to discuss, 2 Syrian recipes (I didn’t use them, because I couldn’t figure out how to best make them vegetarian), and a section for notes. My favorite part of the study guide was some of the questions about what different names mean, those in the book and our own and all of the names of God.
– I like the short chapters, because it encourages younger readers to continue on. It also makes it easier for read-aloud time, because we don’t have to stop in the middle of a chapter if we have only a little bit of time available.
B’s Thoughts (boy, age 15, officially in ninth grade and in public school):
B is busy with public school, so you will not see many reviews from him.
C’s Thoughts (girl, age 13, officially in seventh grade):
The Heart Changer is about a girl who is captured and taken to serve the wife of Naaman, the commander of the Syrian army.
Here are somethings I liked about this book.
1. It is very detailed and describes lots of little details.
2. This is a good book to read when you want something quick and easy to read.
3. This book is based off of 2 Kings Chapter 5 in the Bible, which I thought was really cool.
Here is something I did not like about this book.
1. This book ends abruptly, and it doesn’t include much about Mariam finding her family.
I think this book would be good for people of all ages because you can read it or have it read aloud to you.
Social Media Links:
Recap of pertinent information!
Product Link: The Heart Changer
Age Appeal: 7-12
Format: Digital and softcover, 112 pages, and ISBN: 978-1-62020-868-7, There is also a PDF Teacher’s Guide (can be found on this website under the corresponding graphic).
Price: Please check the product link for current prices.
Mama highly recommends The Heart Changer to your family!
Please click on the graphic below to learn what the other crew members on the review thought.